Vegan Main Meal Recipes - Scrambled Tofu & Sweet Coriander Rice
Shopping & Ingredients List:
400g Firm Tofu
250g Basmati Rice, rinsed
240g can Light Coconut Milk
15g Mixed Dried Mushrooms
120g Shitake Mushrooms, sliced
15g Fresh Ginger, grated
2 Garlic Cloves, minced
2 Spring Onions, finely chopped
1 Lemongrass Stalk, very finely chopped
2 tbsp Kecap Manis
1 tbsp Soy Sauce
1 tbsp Cornflour
½ Lime, juice only
1 Red Chilli, finely sliced
2 medium Tomatoes, chopped
3 tbsp Fresh Coriander, chopped
1 Kaffir Lime Leaf
2 tbsp Sesame Oil
Salt & Pepper to season
1. Drain the tofu & wrap it in kitchen paper or a clean tea towel. Place a plate on top of the tofu & then add some weight e.g. a can of food. Leave it for 30 minutes & then drain away the excess liquid. Re-wrap the tofu in clean kitchen towel or a fresh tea towel & again press the tofu for 30 minutes using a plate & weight. Meanwhile add the dried mushrooms to a jug of 225ml of boiling water & leave to soak for 30 minutes.
2. In a medium saucepan combine the rice, coconut milk & 250ml of water. Add the kaffir lime leaf & season, bring to a boil, cover & simmer for 7 minutes. Turn off the heat with the lid still on & leave to steam for a further 10 minutes.
4. Meanwhile roughly crumble the tofu in a bowl, add the cornflour & mix. Heat 1 tbsp of the sesame oil in a frying pan or wok, until smoking & then add the tofu to stir fry for 5 minutes.
5. Drain the dried mushrooms & chop, reserving the liquid. Add the remaining oil to a new frying pan, or wok, & add the dried mushrooms, the shitake mushrooms, ginger, garlic, lemongrass & spring onions. Cook for 2 minutes.
6. Combine ¾ of the reserved mushroom stock with the kecap manis & soy sauce. Add to the mushroom pan along with the tofu & tomatoes & cook on high for 2-3 minutes until the liquid has reduced. Add the lime juice & season well. Serve with the rice & sprinkle the chopped coriander & chilli over the top.
Macro info per serving